One function most games need is the ability to display information to the user using text and numbers. It’s not uncommon for graphics libraries to have support for TTF fonts (see SFML and SDL). However, given the style of game I’m working on, what I would prefer is a bitmap font.
Just type “video game bitmap fonts” into Google image search and you can see how different they are compared to TTF. If you’re making a low resolution or pixel style game then bitmap fonts really fit the theme.
I’ve found libraries that deal with TTF fonts. I’ve also found programs that will supposedly turn TTF fonts into bitmap fonts. But the fonts I want are built from the ground up as a bitmap image, and I haven’t really found any way of using bitmap fonts (with SFML .NET specifically) within a project that satisfies that.
It seemed like a decent sized task to work on myself, so I took a stab at it.
Continue reading Bitmap (Pixel) Fonts →
I’ve been working on a small game recently, the goal of which is to change your player’s color to match the colors of incoming lines so that you can pass through them. Detecting when the player crosses a line is at the core of the game.
Detecting which side of a 2D line a point is on is a pretty simple task. I’d wager most people have encountered the problem relatively early in their game development efforts (not allowing the player to move outside of the screen, for example). Nonetheless it’s probably something that people (including me) have solved in an inefficient or needlessly complex way. So I’m going to go over the problem and solution implemented in my game.
Continue reading Detecting Line Crossings →
When I last left off I had the rooms (or data equivalent of rooms) created, the last thing that needed to be done was add in cycles so that the dungeon layout is not a tree. That’s what I’ll be tackling in this post.
I’ve updated the
generateMap() function and added a call to the new function
fixTree() at the end:
//get all dead ends
for (unsigned int i = 0; i < rooms.size(); i++)
unsigned int i = 0;
int addedCount = 0;
int cyclesToAdd = (deadEnds.size() * CYCLE_PERCENT) / 100;
//keep adding cycles until the quantity is met or we run out of
//dead ends to try
while (i < deadEnds.size() && addedCount < cyclesToAdd)
Room* de = deadEnds[i++];
std::vector<Room*> adjacentRooms = getAdjacentRooms(de);
if (adjacentRooms.size() <= 0)
unsigned int j = 0;
Room* aj = nullptr;
//find first non-connected room
aj = adjacentRooms[j];
} while (j < adjacentRooms.size() && aj == nullptr);
//if no non-connected room is found try the next dead-end
if (aj == nullptr)
aj->hasSecondEntrance = true;
//rooms are adjacent, but not connected, now we connect them... with
int directionOfOther = de->directionOfOtherRoom(aj);
int miny = 0, minx = 0, shift = 0;
if (directionOfOther == Room::LEFT || directionOfOther == Room::RIGHT)
miny = std::max(de->topLeft.y, aj->topLeft.y);
int maxy = std::min(de->bottomRight.y, aj->bottomRight.y);
int dy = std::abs(maxy - miny);
shift = dy <= 0 ? 0 : rand() % (dy + 1);
else if (directionOfOther == Room::UP || directionOfOther == Room::DOWN)
minx = std::max(de->topLeft.x, aj->topLeft.x);
int maxx = std::min(de->bottomRight.x, aj->bottomRight.x);
int dx = std::abs(maxx - minx);
shift = dx <= 0 ? 0 : rand() % (dx + 1);
aj->startingCell2 = Vector2i(aj->bottomRight.x, miny + shift);
aj->previousCell2 = Vector2i(de->topLeft.x, miny + shift);
aj->startingCell2 = Vector2i(aj->topLeft.x, miny + shift);
aj->previousCell2 = Vector2i(de->bottomRight.x, miny + shift);
aj->startingCell2 = Vector2i(minx + shift, aj->bottomRight.y);
aj->previousCell2 = Vector2i(minx + shift, de->topLeft.y);
aj->startingCell2 = Vector2i(minx + shift, aj->topLeft.y);
aj->previousCell2 = Vector2i(minx + shift, de->bottomRight.y);
Continue reading Generating a Dungeon (part 3) →
In my last post I started working on creating a randomly generated dungeon. At the end of the post there were cells that were marked as being reserved empty, ie: no rooms will be put there. In this post I’ll be adding in the rooms.
Continue reading Generating a Dungeon (part 2) →
I’ve been wanting to create a game that uses randomly generated dungeons for a while now but didn’t have a good idea about what kind of game to make. Recently though I decided “so what if I don’t have an idea for what to DO with the dungeons, I can figure that out after I make them.” So I set out to make some code that will generate random dungeons.
Continue reading Generating a Dungeon (part 1) →